Currently, here in my home state of Michigan, the temperatures have commenced their annual descent into chillier territory. Nothing drastic mind you, but apparent enough to remind local residents that cooler days are indeed on the foreseeable horizon. Such is life in states with frosty temperatures during the span between late October and early April. Therefore, on occasion, a mental respite can be summoned by way of a relaxing cologne to serve as much-needed distraction – there is subtle psychological element to wearing cologne that cannot be dismissed. That being stated, allow me to direct your attention to the latest, limited-edition offering from Tommy Bahama: St. Kitts for Men. With wintry conditions ahead, let’s gauge the performance of St. Kitts for Men, and then we can decide if it provides the mental getaway that a gentleman requires from time to time when the weather outside is frightful.
Top Notes: Kaffir Lime, Mandarin Orange, Star Fruit (Carambola)
Middle Notes: Cedar, Sea Salt, Watery Accord
Base Notes: Driftwood, Ambergris, Creamy Musk
- After a departure from its signature curved bottle – departures being Tommy Bahama Compass and Tommy Bahama Island Life – St. Kitts is a return to its unique style, arriving in a deep cobalt blue container with a very soft texture. If I were being picky, the presentation would be beautifully topped off by a brass top instead of the brass colored plastic that arrives with the product. It slightly detracts from the overall visual, but that is only for the gentleman that obsesses over details. Minor, but worth mentioning for those that care about such nuances.
- From its introduction to its middle act to its conclusion, the transitional phases are steady and smooth. Each note flows into the other seamlessly without overpowering each other. The highlights of the top and middle notes are the mandarin orange, star fruit, and watery accord. In tandem, a gentleman enjoys a mildly sweet opening that lasts for a generous amount of time.
- The closing notes are slow and sustained. Again, it does not dry down with a strong presence, so there is a risk of being overpowered in an environment of competing scents. So don’t trot off to the casino where the cascading smoke will negate your efforts to smell great.
- A gentleman will surely benefit from generous applications, nothing over the top, but 8-10 sprays from the bottle should suffice and last a decent portion of the day.
- Tommy Bahama St. Kitts for Men is not strong by any means. And actually, because of its soft notes, I could imagine a woman wearing this. Therefore, if you’re the type of gentleman that prefers a more rugged scent, this offering from Tommy Bahama may not be for you. Definitely a spring and summer cologne, St. Kitts for Men can be a welcome change of pace as the days become duller and gloomier. St. Kitts for Men is consistent. From beginning to end, its identity never changes, sweet and fruity, it affords a gentleman a softer approach to fall and winter while conjuring up thoughts of more pleasant temperatures to come.
- Tommy Bahama 3.4 oz $65.00 – Available exclusively at Tommy Bahama locations or online at http://www.tommybahama.com/TBG/Men/Mens_New_Products/PRD_200420/Mens+St+Kitts+34+oz+Cologne+Spray.jsp