Yes, dear gentlemen, the time has finally arrived, cooler temperatures are upon us and no head is safe from the nippy elements outdoors. And especially true for gentlemen dealing with the circumstance of barren scalp follicles, it is paramount that some form of protection be employed to negate the cold as much as possible. Options are plentiful, however, a gentleman must display caution and intelligence when choosing a hat. Trust my word, athletic caps fail to deliver the level of sophistication required for a gentleman of your stature. A felt fedora may regretfully boast a grandfatherly feel to it. And a beanie embellished with a playful pom-pom on top – maybe best worn during one’s middle school years. Now, an investment in a fine knit beanie will lend a touch of elegance without hindering your presentation with a dull, boring feeling. This particular beanie, delicately woven with lambswool, showcases an array of fanciful, colored wool flecks that infuse visual character and uniqueness. Whether married to a formal, navy double-breasted overcoat or ruggedly handsome shearling bomber jacket; the selection of a luxurious woolen beanie is but a natural choice to a measure of warmth and style to your cold season wardrobe.
Currently, here in my home state of Michigan, the temperatures have commenced their annual descent into chillier territory. Nothing drastic mind you, but apparent enough to remind local residents that cooler days are indeed on the foreseeable horizon. Such is life in states with frosty temperatures during the span between late October and early April. Therefore, on occasion, a mental respite can be summoned by way of a relaxing cologne to serve as much-needed distraction – there is subtle psychological element to wearing cologne that cannot be dismissed. That being stated, allow me to direct your attention to the latest, limited-edition offering from Tommy Bahama: St. Kitts for Men. With wintry conditions ahead, let’s gauge the performance of St. Kitts for Men, and then we can decide if it provides the mental getaway that a gentleman requires from time to time when the weather outside is frightful.
Top Notes: Kaffir Lime, Mandarin Orange, Star Fruit (Carambola)
Middle Notes: Cedar, Sea Salt, Watery Accord
Base Notes: Driftwood, Ambergris, Creamy Musk
- After a departure from its signature curved bottle – departures being Tommy Bahama Compass and Tommy Bahama Island Life – St. Kitts is a return to its unique style, arriving in a deep cobalt blue container with a very soft texture. If I were being picky, the presentation would be beautifully topped off by a brass top instead of the brass colored plastic that arrives with the product. It slightly detracts from the overall visual, but that is only for the gentleman that obsesses over details. Minor, but worth mentioning for those that care about such nuances.
- From its introduction to its middle act to its conclusion, the transitional phases are steady and smooth. Each note flows into the other seamlessly without overpowering each other. The highlights of the top and middle notes are the mandarin orange, star fruit, and watery accord. In tandem, a gentleman enjoys a mildly sweet opening that lasts for a generous amount of time.
- The closing notes are slow and sustained. Again, it does not dry down with a strong presence, so there is a risk of being overpowered in an environment of competing scents. So don’t trot off to the casino where the cascading smoke will negate your efforts to smell great.
- A gentleman will surely benefit from generous applications, nothing over the top, but 8-10 sprays from the bottle should suffice and last a decent portion of the day.
- Tommy Bahama St. Kitts for Men is not strong by any means. And actually, because of its soft notes, I could imagine a woman wearing this. Therefore, if you’re the type of gentleman that prefers a more rugged scent, this offering from Tommy Bahama may not be for you. Definitely a spring and summer cologne, St. Kitts for Men can be a welcome change of pace as the days become duller and gloomier. St. Kitts for Men is consistent. From beginning to end, its identity never changes, sweet and fruity, it affords a gentleman a softer approach to fall and winter while conjuring up thoughts of more pleasant temperatures to come.
- Tommy Bahama 3.4 oz $65.00 – Available exclusively at Tommy Bahama locations or online at http://www.tommybahama.com/TBG/Men/Mens_New_Products/PRD_200420/Mens+St+Kitts+34+oz+Cologne+Spray.jsp
Gentlemen’s Standard Approved
Disclosure: TGS was not financially compensated for this post. I received a sample for review purposes only. The opinions are completely my own based on my experience.
True indeed, a gentleman’s personal style is mostly recognizable when it dominates the optics, not necessarily in an offensive manner, but by means of exclusively garnering the attention of surrounding company in a relatively flashy manner. Given that fact, some gentleman push their personal style above and beyond sartorial limits, extending well into the peacock region, and that is when the visuals border on obnoxious. Well, today I am here to state that such regions don’t necessarily require traversing. Steeped in sophistication, sharp style is shrouded in sly subtlety. For a gentleman, it’s looking seemlessly altogether while effortlessly putting it all together. And that introduces today’s topic for discussion: the gentleman’s fingerless gloves.
Paradoxically speaking, fingerless gloves are a gentleman’s accessory that is hard to notice, yet one can’t help but notice. Now, before I offer my humble endorsement, let’s discuss the fingerless glove’s function. It’s really not terribly complex, however, recognize that fingerless gloves aren’t exclusive to hobos, nor workers that stock cold beverages in the freezer at grocery stores. If the weather is sufficiently cold, yet the deployment of cashmere lined leather gloves is a tad premature, a smart pair of toasty fingerless gloves is a reasonable option.
Manufactured as a woolen protectant for your hands, cold weather can be sufficiently kept at bay until real frigid conditions materialize. Bonus: Given its construction, a gentleman can retain the full dexterity of his fingers! So, whether you’re dropping $12.00 at Target (fashion frugality) or $425.00 at Barneys (temporary insanity), a warm pair of woolen, fingerless gloves can provide perfect cover from nippy temperatures, allow freedom of movement for your fingers, and add a dash of roguish charm to an otherwise proper presentation. Stay stylish gentlemen.
With winter just around the corner, and in preparation of potential arctic temperatures, it would behoove the gentleman to ready himself accordingly. As part of that readiness plan, equipping oneself with the necessary wintry accoutrements is a given. High on that list of accoutrements would be leather gloves. For all intents and purposes, leather in its most basic design is skin, albeit animal skin (rawhide), but skin nonetheless. During the manufacturing process, the rawhide is treated with varying tanning methods that grant pliability, suppleness, and durability. As time slowly progresses, if left untreated, leather will gradually become stripped of its natural oils. It is important that these essential oils are replenished to maintain the leather’s integrity. The loss of essential oils is probably most troublesome in the winter, as the air progressively becomes cold and dry.
So, given the brutal weather ahead, combined with laborious tasks such as shoveling snow, your leather gloves are primed to take a beating. To keep your gloves well-maintained and appropriately conditioned, I would humbly suggest investing in a bottle of Lexol. Readily available at a cobbler, a discount retail store, or even an automotive store; Lexol is a leather cleaner and conditioner all at the same time. Simply don your leather gloves, dispense what is required to bring life to your leather, and rub your hands together until the results are satisfactory. Adopted as routine maintenance, a gentleman can easily extend the life of leather gloves, beating back the inevitability of cracking and drying under cold, harsh conditions. It is a small attention to detail that will certainly go a long way. Stay stylish and keep warm gentlemen.
Gentlemen, it is quit remarkable that autumn has officially commenced, and before you can blink your eyes, winter will be touching down shortly as well. Now, I understand that is a conversation many gentlemen care not to entertain, but the reality is inevitable – winter is coming. Now, with these truths proven to be self-evident, fine department stores are bolstering their inventory accordingly with cold-weather appropriate menswear. Therefore, anticipate that the usual regiment of seasonal woolen offerings will inundate your local shelves. And speaking of woolen, again, I have to endorse this year’s wool pocket squares from Suit Supply.
Offered a few months ago, I recklessly procrastinated, and the result was a stock that was instantly depleted within weeks. To clarify, the wool pocket squares in question were a dynamic tandem, both light blue squares edged with a cream hue and speckled with either burgundy or navy dots. In affairs of the pocket square, Suit Supply stays winning. Luckily for me, both became available once again a month or so ago. And as a treat for myself, on my 38th birthday, I scooped up both pocket squares. Lightweight. Soft. Impeccable design. I cannot complain. I understand some gentlemen may scoff at the $45.00 price-tag, but I’m a pocket square lover, and sometimes one has to pay for style and quality. Once again, I am a satisfied customer. Stay stylish gentlemen.