Continuing with our influx of Father’s Day recommendations for select fragrances, today, Perry Ellis Red is in the spotlight for review. In my experience, Perry Ellis offers casual, sporty fragrances properly suited for relaxed daytime performance. Now, Perry Ellis Red is billed as a fresh, masculine scent that reflects a gentleman’s fearless confidence and sexy sophistication. All that being stated, let’s get to the specifics and examine how Perry Ellis Red performs.
Top Notes: Juniper Berries, Italian Bergamot, Citrus
Middle Notes: Apple, Leather, Amber, Sichuan Pepper
Base Notes: Sage, Oakmoss, Sandalwood
- Perry Ellis Red is a casual, standard scent that forgoes complexity and instead opts for a straightforward, aggressive burst of sweetness courtesy of juniper and citrus notes. Amber assists with lending more elements of sweetness with a soft, warm delivery. This theme continues through the heart of Perry Ellis Red before it finally settles into a natural, woodsy base.
- The woody base is just as dominant as the top and middle notes; it really is a tale of two scents as each half is fully distinguished from the other. The conclusion is remarkably robust, so a gentleman should be lenient with his initial application.
- Now, to reiterate, Perry Ellis Red starts strong and it ends stronger. If too much is applied, the top notes can be overwhelming, as pointed out by my wife. It’s projection is wide and far. I experimented with applications for a week, and concluded that 3-4 sprays was the sweet spot to hit without the scent becoming too obnoxious. Its life is significantly long. Traces of its scent will certainly be apparent at the end of a gentleman’s day.
- The presentation is ordinary fare for a cologne flask with the exception of a red transparent, glass middle surrounded by the flask’s black body. It’s plain, but if you are not one that places a premium on appearance, this should not be an issue.
- As with previous experiences, Perry Ellis Red proved to be well-suited for casual environments and daytime affairs. Lively and vigorous, a gentleman can trust Red to be trusted scent that won’t lose a spot in his rotation of cologne.
- Perry Ellis Red 3.4 oz. $65.00 – Available at Perry Ellis, Macy’s, and other fine men’s department stores