The month of June is but a few days away, and now is as good as time as any to contemplate what type of Father’s Day gift would be great for that special gentleman. Today, up for review, is the latest offering from Burberry – Mr. Burberry. Introduced in April 2016, Mr. Burberry is the gentleman’s alternative to My Burberry. Touted as sophisticated and contemporary, Mr. Burberry is the creation of a collaborative effort between Chief Creative & Chief Executive Officer Christopher Bailey and perfumer Francis Kurkdjian. Moody and dark with a prominent presence of wood and spice, the custom monogramming is an elegant finishing touch to complete the package. Now, let’s dive into the details
Top notes: Tarragon, Grapefruit, Cardamom
Middle Notes: Cedar, Birch Leaf, Nutmeg
Base Notes: Sandalwood, Guaiac Wood, Vetiver
- The introductory period with Mr. Burberry is a promising affair, sweet notes of grapefruit tempered by hints of nuanced bitter ones. Soon, the sweetness prevails, albeit briefly, before Mr. Burberry settles into an earthy feel that extends from the heart to the base. My sole complaint: I wish the top note lasted a little longer. This scent is properly suited for evening events.
- Mr. Burberry can be characterized as earnest and brooding. Composed mostly of wood and spice, this is a serious fragrance suited for the professional gentleman. It does not project very far, however, it does display a concentrated intensity within a short-range. Therefore, don’t allow yourself to be influenced by the seemingly inhibited nature because it can pack a punch if applied liberally. You’ll overwhelm yourself and your immediate company.
- The warm dry-down enjoys an extended longevity; the woody base will not abandon a gentleman for sure. The ending could benefit from the addition of a citrus or flower companion to contribute a bright contrast to the moody finale, but some gentlemen may be fine with how Mr. Burberry concludes.
- The presentation is clean and elegant, drawing inspiration from the iconic black Burberry trench coat. Housed in blackish-grey, dense glass; Mr. Burberry is topped off (literally) by a weighted cap in reference to horn-look buttons and a hand-knotted sliver of black gabardine around the throat. It really is a handsome bottle to present on Father’s Day.
- Mr. Burberry 30 ml ($55), 50 ml($68), 100 ml ($88), 150 ml ($115) – complimentary monogramming up to three initials at Burberry.com and select Burberry stores.
- Available at Burberry, Nordstrom, Sephora, and other fine men’s department stores.