And then there was that time that I discovered myself, apparently slightly off-course, somewhere in Allen Park, Michigan with a 2018 Ford Mustang. Hello good people, today I will be detailing part two of my test-drive adventures with the 2018 Ford Expedition and Mustang. You see, that faithful morning at Ford World Headquarters – lovingly referred to as the Glass House – instructions were distributed among our media group directing all drivers to follow a predetermined course around the immediate area to induce a familiarity with each vehicle. Well, everything was proceeding as according to what was planned until Interstate 94 was introduced into the test-driving equation; along with a few indiscriminate semi-trailer trucks to make the situation more interesting.
Suffice it to say, I missed an exit and unexpectedly discovered myself separated from the group. Instead of lamenting and panicking about the situation, I resolved that this was a prime opportunity to examine the speed and agility of the 2018 Mustang. I did not want to stray too far away from Ford World Headquarters, so I needed to get back on track – and in a hurry. The 2018 Ford Mustang is well-suited to perform such a task. Equipped with a turbo-charged 5.0 liter V8 engine, 0-60 miles per hour in 4 seconds flat is possible. The 2.3-liter EcoBoost four-cylinder engine boasts 310 horsepower and 350 pounds of torque while the 5.0-liter V8 engine kicks out 460 horsepower and 420 pounds of torque.
The 2018 Ford Mustang has four active exhaust (equipped with quad exhausts) modes that a gentleman from which a gentleman can select. A beautiful, illuminated 12-inch instrument cluster displays the options: quiet, normal, sport, and track. The all-digital LCD instrument offers varying screen layouts, 26 color options and displays for up to eight gauges. The gentleman can take note of his favorite preferences regarding suspension, steering, and exhaust by saving them in the MyMode settings. New to the world of sports cars, I opted to drive in normal mode. First driving through residential streets, some concrete that had seen better days delivered a bumpy ride. It was not until Interstate 94 afforded the opportunity to unleash this beast on the (nearly) open road.
The Mustang did not have any issues responding to my request to swiftly accelerate around the semi-trailer truck in front of me. The handling was responsive and agile as I dipped around and emancipated it from the obstacle ahead and bolting for the nearest exit to turn myself around and get back on track. Despite its power and speed, I never felt as is I wasn’t in total control of the vehicle. I remained gripped to the road with each acceleration and nimble turn. Eventually, aided by the GPS on my cell phone, I was able to find my way back to Dearborn and Ford HQ.
2018 Ford Mustang Standard Specifications
- AutoLamp Headlamps (automatic on/off)
- Dual Bright exhaust with rolled polished tips
- LED Headlamps with LED signature lighting – LED front park turn lamps – LED sequential tail lamps
- Mirrors – body-color with integrated blind spot mirrors
- Rear-window defroster
- 2.5″ front brake rotors with 2-piston calipers
- 12.5″ rear brake rotors with single-piston calipers
- AdvanceTrac® with Electronic Stability Control (ESC) – Electronic Line-Lock (track use only)
- Independent rear suspension – Selectable-effort Electric Power-Assist Steering (EPAS)
- Vented 4-wheel disc brakes
- 2.3L EcoBoost®
- 3.31 limited-slip rear axle – 6-speed manual transmission – Standard 17-inch EcoBoost®Wheel
- Air extractor hood vents
- Launch control (track use only; requires manual transmission)
- P235/55R17 A/S tires
- Tire Inflator and Sealant Kit
2018 Ford Mustang Standard Specifications
- Auto-dimming rearview mirror
- Manual climate control
- Active Noise Cancellation
- Satin Chrome Instrument cluster, register vents and cup holder surrounds
- Carbon zag instrument panel applique
- Cabin air filter – Center console with full armrest – Map Light
- Chrome-accent 4-gauge instrument cluster
- Cupholders (2) – Driver footrest
- Easy Fuel® capless fuel filler – Floor mats – carpeted, front
- Illuminated, locking glove compartment – Intelligent Access with push-button start – Interior trunk release
- Leather-wrapped parking brake handle – Leather-wrapped steering wheel with cruise and audio controls and tilt and telescoping steering column
- Map pockets – backside of driver and front-passenger seats (N/A with optional RECARO® seats)
- Power driver and passenger windows with global open
- Powerpoints – 2
- Dual Illuminated Visor Vanity Mirrors
- Track Apps™
- 6-speaker sound system, AM/FM Stereo with single CD
- Two smart-charging USB ports
- 2-way manual front-passenger seat
- 4-way adjustable front head restraints – 4-way manual driver’s seat – 50/50 split folding rear seat – Cloth front bucket seats
- The 2.3 and 5.0 liter engines both pack enough punch that will satisfy any lover of sports cars. The Mustang handles well and excels in speed effortlessly when presented with a clean, unobstructed terrain.
- The all-digital 12-inch LCD instrument cluster is next-level technology that grants a personalized feel that is unsurpassed and does nothing but heighten the driving experience even more. It is definitely eye-catching and engaging.
- Customized option to program your Mustang to start utilizing one of the four exhaust modes: quiet, normal, sport, and track. Be nice to your neighbor and start it up in quiet mode.
- Beautiful interior and exterior. The exterior is sleek and confident in its appearance while the interior is modestly handsome with its approach to styling.
- Without the upgraded performance package – MagneRide – rugged streets could possibly reduce the smoothness of the ride.
- If you are a novice in the arena of muscle cars, it would behoove you to become intimately acquainted with the owner’s manual. Given its high customization, a rookie – such as myself – will find the controls a little complex.
- For a gentleman my size, the cockpit was a little tight. The plush interior certainly provided a measure of comfort, however, a brother such as myself could benefit from some elbow room. And no one over 5 feet would probably be able to be seated behind me, as my seat would most likely be as far back as possible.
The 2018 Ford Mustang is designed for the rakish gentleman that appreciates power in presentation and is unafraid of announcing his presence with an assertive, bullish selection for his transportation. With the ability to incorporate a customized touch with bold new technology, the aforementioned gentleman will truly be capable of making the 2018 Ford Mustang uniquely his own. The starting manufacturer’s suggested retail price of $25,585 is honestly quite modest given the intricacy of control and power. The price stars to climb as more customization packages are added. If you are a muscle car enthusiast, the revamped Mustang arrives with all the sexy, chiseled, and aggressive features the performance-minded gentleman would desire.
For more information, please visit https://www.ford.com/cars/mustang/ to learn further details.