Historically, I have long held an ardent appreciation for designer fragrances released from luxury Italian house Dolce & Gabbana. The fragrances that I have experienced were always pleasant and smelled fantastic. Generally, they were easy to wear and inoffensive to the surrounding public. Now, one of my favorite men’s fragrances, Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue, was launched 14 years ago in 2007. Subsequently, a plethora of Light Blue iterations (flankers) followed with periodic releases throughout the years. I have always welcomed a Dolce & Gabbana release, and this year was no different as I was excited about putting my nose on the latest – Light Blue Forever. Given my previous experiences with the Light Blue collection, my intentions were to blind buy a bottle. However, during a casual visit to the shopping mall, I spotted the new 2021 release of their shelves. Spoiler alert: I did not pull the proverbial trigger. Instead, I departed with Givenchy Gentleman tucked away in my shopping bag. The saleswoman wholeheartedly agreed with my decision. She noted this Light Blue flanker was not as popular as others from the past. Detailed below, I will tell you why I decided to roll with another brand fragrance. Read on.
Ozonic Notes, Violet Leaf
Java Vetiver, White Musk, Patchouli
- Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue Forever explodes with an assertive citrusy introduction of grapefruit and bergamot. Now, if you are a distinguished gentleman that adores the bitter aroma of grapefruit, prepare to be fully engulfed by its overwhelming magnitude. And as an aromatic companion, the bergamot effectively bolsters the top notes’ pungency. There is no mistake, the smell of grapefruit will aggressively grab you because of its authenticity – absolutely no synthetic feel detected here. And for that, I have to extend due credit to Dolce & Gabbana. The grapefruit is tart and rightly robust. However, I am not a huge fan of grapefruit. Nope – not even a casual fan. Neither taste nor smell, it is not for me. Employed as a fragrance, the vibe is just too strong for me.
- Now, addressing the heart of the matter, yes, more sour grapefruit. As for violet leaf – what violet leaf? Sure, the ozonic notes lend an airy, somewhat fresh texture to the middle of the cologne, but alas, the grapefruit is king here and will not be dethroned.
- The flask presentation – I probably should have started with this first – is similar to the other Light Blue flankers from the collection. Quiet and minimalistic, the soft turquoise hue, however, is very attractive. Almost attractive enough to justify a purchase to showcase on a shelf at home. Well, no, not really.
- Arriving at the base notes, and I will tell you, that grapefruit is still hanging on for dear life. Seriously, I sprayed Light Blue on a test strip and it took a little over a day to detect the earthy feel of the vetiver and musk. After the grapefruit calmed down, what is left is a masculine musk that isn’t too bad. If you can endure the journey, it might be worth the payoff. Surely on skin it may announce itself sooner than that timetable. So, full disclosure, the grapefruit was so strong, I did not even attempt to test it on my skin. I desperately wanted to like Light Blue Forever, it was truly my intention, as I tested it on 4 separate occasions trying to convince myself of a purchase. I just could not commit the funds to a cologne that I just did not love – or even mildly like for that matter.
- Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue forever is intended for the gentleman that prefers to smell like a bitter, tart grapefruit. End review. No, seriously, Light Blue Forever is supremely unique in the sense of how grapefruit is utilized. This isn’t a redundant flanker that leans heavily on the blueprint of previous Light blue releases. Given its potency, I would humbly suggest 3-4 modest applications. This is a casual fragrance that should get the most love in spring and summer. It will project well and perform for perhaps 6-7 hours. I know this latest Light Blue iteration is receiving a lot of love online. Sadly, it just does not work for me. Perhaps you will have a better experience.
- Dolce & Gabbana Light Blue Forever retails for $80.00 1.7 oz. and $110.00 3.4oz. – Available at Dolce & Gabbana, Nordstrom, Macy’s, Bloomingdales, and other fine men’s department stores