Query any gentleman practicing the intimate art of shaving; you will soon discover that the fear of unsightly, unwanted razor bumps is a concern that weighs heavily on his mind. The act of wielding a small piece of sharpened steel against ones face deserves undivided attention. Any gentleman is susceptible to razor bumps or skin irritation, but African-America males tend suffer more than others. Given that fact, some men seek refuge in the form of an electric razor.
Perhaps gentler on skin and definitely more cost-effective, an electric razor is certainly a viable option for men with the desire to reduce or eliminate razor bumps, and do so in a manner that doesn’t drain the wallet on a monthly basis. Today, we have the Wahl Bump-Free Rechargeable Shaver up for review. Touted as being designed specifically for the unique needs of African-American men, the shaver is built with hypoallergenic titanium foils, it is designed to reduce irritation and prevent razor bumps. It also features a built-in pop-up trimmer for edging, detailing and neckline touch-ups. Let’s examine how it performs.
- Unassuming and modest in appearance, the Wahl Bump-Free Rechargeable Shaver is equipped with some serious shaving power. I have utilized other electric shavers, and some become very warm to the skin while operating. Some have been slightly unforgiving to my skin with some moderate skin irritation present after shaving. However, the Wahl offering was noticeably smoother and effortless with its shaving capabilities.
- Now, a gentleman will benefit from a close shave without the annoying skin irritation. However, it should be noted that your shave probably won’t be as close as one would receive using a straight or safety razor. That being said, Wahl does indicate that the longer a gentleman continues to use the Bump-Free Shave, the closer the shave will become.
- A gentleman will not have to dedicate any extra time to his shaving routine, as the shaver plows through growth quickly and efficiently. No need to apply unnecessary pressure, as the shaver does the job fine by itself.
- If your beard is relatively thick, I suggest employing a standard pair of clippers to reduce it down before hitting it with the shaver. If you have a little stubble, it would be wise to take advantage of the pop-up trimmer to eliminate some of your growth (recommended for 2-3 days worth) before using the shaver to complete the job.
- The pop-up trimmer is serviceable, but you might find yourself reaching for a separate pair of trimmers to address detailing.
- Combined with a lightweight and compact body, the rubber grip assists by providing easy handling and maneuvering. Due to its design, the Bump-Free shaver would make for a great travel companion.
- The noise level (due to the 10,000 cycles per minute) is what you would expect from an electric razor. The noise may be too much for some men, so ensure you close that bathroom door when mowing through your stubble.
- Manufacturer’s suggested retail price: $59.99
- Available at Wahl Online Store, Target, CVS Pharmacy, Rite Aid, Amazon, Bed Bath & Beyond
- Pop-up trimmer, wide precision blades for quick and easy detailing
- Hypoallergenic titanium foils
- Ergonomic, rubber grip
- Kit includes: Shaver with pop-up trimmer. Beard brush, charger, cleaning brush, foil guard, storage pouch
- Up to 60 minutes of run time
I have been using the Braun 7 series for about a year now and my barber has been using it on me for about 2 years now. I absolutely love that thing, but I will see about giving this a try as well. I thought about using a straight razor but I only use that for shaping/lining my beard and sideburns. Thanks for the write up.
Any suggestions on a good after shave product to cut down on razor bumps?