After a few sporadic days of exclusive previews, a gentleman can rest assured that winter is indeed coming. If last year was any indication, one can expect generous amounts of snow and bone-chilling temperatures once again, and dress preparations must be undertaken accordingly. Of course, particular attention will be afforded to a gentleman’s selection of outerwear and accessories. Coats, gloves, and scarves will be deployed to combat what awaits outside. However, today, we’re focusing on an essential sartorial element that is often taken for granted…footwear – namely boots.
Now, with formal or casual options being pretty much straightforward choices; it is the in-between game, the business-casual game, that trips many gentlemen up. Yes, it is not as easy as it may appear. To perfectly execute the styling of a business-casual presentation for boots, a certain balance of refinement and ruggedness must be achieved. To illustrate this point, today we are lucky to have the Timberland West Haven on deck to serve as an example. So, let’s vault into the details before the next snowfall buries us all.
Now, if you are familiar with Timberland, you will already understand that the rugged element is a quintessential staple that pervades many of their models of footwear. However, how is refinement and sophistication addressed when discussing the aesthetic of a business-casual boot? Well, the dynamic amalgam of business and casual succeeds with the commencement of a casual, roughened baseline and then deftly infusing formal elements to soften the tough exterior.
With the West Haven, all the signature rugged components that make Timberland, well – Timberland, are accounted for. The durable cotton laces. The robust, sturdy soles – made with 34% recycled rubber by the way. The supple, pliable full-grain leather. Lastly, the West Haven boasts a zipper that lends a sly hint of attitude as you head into the office. And now, let’s focus on the dressier elements that raises the West Haven’s status from your standard boot to a higher, more dignified pedigree.
Fully present, we have a cap-toe with an adjacent perforated cap design just before the vamp. There are also decorative perforations along the quarters. One can observe beautiful stitching that encircles the entire sole. As previously mentioned above, full-grain premium leather is employed for hard-wearing usage and sophistication.
The boot’s silhouette is streamlined enough to separate itself from the regular chunky boot category, which definitely designates it as office ready. And on your way to the office, a gentleman can be comforted that the West Haven sole provides traction with its exclusive Gripstick™ technology. Oh – the West Haven is supremely comfortable and very forgiving on a gentleman’s heel and sole.
Gent Hints – How To Wear the West Haven
- The business casual boot is best utilized when worn with trousers boasting tweed, heavier khaki, corduroy, or denim material. The beautiful marriage of refinement and ruggedness best suits a gentleman when the landscape is replete with snow and slush.
- The strip of leather that forms a small loop on the back of the boot, it’s called a bootstrap, and it affords leverage when a gentleman is putting on his boots – use it.
- The standard boot tends to grant additional space for a gentleman’s foot. Therefore, to accommodate the extra room, moderately thick cotton or woolen blend hosiery is recommended.
- The roominess will probably lead to moderate creasing along flex points, but that should not pose an issue if you regularly polish your footwear.
- Perhaps a little too rugged for board meetings (unless you are a total rakish rebel), the West Haven is however perfectly suited for your standard office space.
- Anti-Fatigue Technology: Made specifically for people who spend long days on their feet, our exclusive anti-fatigue technology is built into the midsole, and uses geometric cone support to provide exceptional standing comfort, shock absorption and energy return all day.
- Anti-fatigue removable foot-beds with soft synthetic leather covers
- 100% Organic Cotton Laces: The fabric is made of 100% certified organic cotton (USDA National Organic Program, or equivalent, certified).
- Premium full-grain leather uppers
- Silver Rated Tannery: One or more major components use at least 50% leather tanned in a facility rated Silver or higher by a third-party environmental audit. The Leather Working Group judges and classifies tanneries based on energy use, waste production and water treatment.
- Convenient side zip for easy entry
- Timberland® exclusive Gripstick™ outsole is made with super-sticky 34% recycled rubber
- Retails at $180.00