Nick Sullivan, Esquire’s resident fashion director, does not favor the ritual of affixing one’s necktie to one’s dress shirt utilizing the duties of the tie clip, or tie bar – whatever term you particularly fancy. I first learned this curious fact after watching a clip of Mr. Sullivan over at Mr Porter where they feature a video series titled The Way I Dress. During the brief clip, Sullivan explains his apparent dislike for the small accessory. And actually, it is not the dislike of tie clip itself, but the gentlemen that actually wear tie clips. Interesting. That sentiment was once again echoed in the September issue of Esquire in his advice section. Truthfully, his disdain for tie clips is never fully explained; aside from the reasoning that he just does not like them. Style is all about individuality, and a gentleman can maintain his sartorial preferences as he wishes. However, I cannot see tie clips as useless affectation because they actually serve a purpose. Sullivan thinks it looks too neat when the necktie is held strategically in place. What’s wrong with neat? Better than sloppy – right? Question: How many gentlemen actually blow their nose in handkerchief or pocket square? I would surmise not many, yet we wear them anyway because it affords a small, yet stylish detail to the overall ensemble. And so, in praise of the tie clip, we present 5 reasons why you should be wearing one.
5 Reasons Why You Should Rock The Tie Clip
- Function: They keep your necktie in place. Not crooked. Not lopsided. Not in your plate of spaghetti. It stays in place – where it should be.
- You may be accustomed to tie clips arriving in a rigid rectangular shape, but they may also arrive in fun and quirky shapes like an anchor, a propeller, or a mustache. It’s all about the individuality.
- They can be seriously inexpensive; just head over to The Tie Bar. It doesn’t have to cost an arm and a leg to exude some subtle charm. But, if rocking a fancy tie bar is your thing, go for it!
- And while you are over there, check out the dizzying array of colors you can choose from that can be coordinated with your necktie, pocket square, or even your socks! Adding some color – on the cheap – is a great way to make an outfit more interesting.
- 9 out of 10 style experts say that gentlemen that wear tie clips are infinitely more stylish than those that don’t wear them. Okay, we made this last one up.