For all intents and purposes, a gentleman’s shaving regimen is seemingly relegated to the application of a chosen shaving cream to the face, closely followed by customary hair removal, courtesy of a series of meaningful strokes from a safety razor. It is a relatively standard practice, free of affectation and complexity. However, as my education in the art of shaving advanced, I soon became exposed to grooming details that were wholly unfamiliar. And one of those details: pre-shave oil. Coordinating with a gentleman’s shaving cream, pre-shave oil is designed to assist your razor with an easy, fluid glide across your skin. Today, we are looking at a pre-shave oil offering from Zirh, their Prepare Botanical Pre-Shave Oil. Did I escape with no cuts, razor burn, or nicks. Let’s see how it performed.
- Packaged in a small silver squeeze container, Zirh Prepare arrives with a clear appearance and clean, odorless fragrance.
- Given that this product is oil based, it is pleasantly light with a non-greasy touch. It does not leave a greasy residue and absorbs into the skin at a moderate pace.
- Depending on the thickness of one’s beard, only a small amount is necessary to prepare the area that is being shaved. I estimate that perhaps a dime-sized amount is sufficient enough to cover an area an inch in diameter.
- Regarding performance, Zirh Prepare does reduce the friction that may arise when shaving. My shave was noticeably smooth and easy. But aside from aiding my safety razor with an effortless glide across my skin, it was the post-shave feel that really stood out. Not only was there an absence of burn & irritation; my skin felt incredibly soft and supple. So, Zirh Prepare not only provides a smooth shave, it also helps moisturize and calm the skin. Please note: A Gillette Fusion safety razor was used during shaving.
- Given its moisturizing qualities, I even employed Zirh Prepare as a beard moisturizer. My hair is slightly coarse, so Zirh Prepare really helped in softening up and providing a healthy appearance to my beard. Only a smaller amount is required if you choose to utilize Zirh Prepare in this capacity.
- Now, I have to exercise a measure of honesty, the price point of $18.50 for just 1 fluid ounce will surely frighten some gentlemen away, especially with less expensive alternatives on the market. Nevertheless, if your shaving regimen is infrequent and your wallet can sustain the financial commitment, Zirh Prepare is a great product to have stocked in your medicine cabinet.
- As mentioned above, retails for $18.00 at 1.0 fl oz (30 ml). Zirh offers a unique payment plan. A gentleman can choose a one time payment, or an auto-replenishment is available in bi-monthly or quarterly intervals. If anyone has any experience with this replenishment program, please feel free to comment.
- For more details, please visit http://www.zirh.com/men-shaving-products/prepare-preshave-oil.html for information.
Zirh Prepare Botanical Pre-shave Oil
Zirh Prepare is formulated for all skin types. Designed to lubricate the beard area and improve glide while shaving. Provides a protective layer that can help prevent razor burn as well as making shaving easier and more comfortable.
- Safflower Seed Oil: Emollient plant oil that contain beneficial fatty acids that help to repair the skin’s barrier and re-moisturize dry skin
- Carica Papaya Fruit Extract: Has exfoliating properties to provide for a smoother shave.
- Mango Fruit Extract: Antioxidant.