For the gentleman that desires to suit himself within an armor of elegance, he cannot go wrong by employing the dutiful services of a double-breasted blazer. Aided by an unexpected resurgence in popularity, the venerable classic enjoyed a modest level of ubiquity in the world of menswear last year. However, I would be remiss if I didn’t mention a certain connotation that arrives with the double-breasted blazer – only men of a certain age wear them. And by certain age, I am speaking of an age that effectively qualifies them for a discounted breakfast at Denny’s. For a younger gentleman, the thoughtful utilization of said blazer can incorrectly represent a forced look. Therefore, how can one deftly remove the whispers of stuffiness without sacrificing the old-school charm that makes it unique in the first place? Well, try some of these tactics and reinterpret your classic with a contemporary makeover.
- Sometimes a double-breasted blazer is the unhappy recipient of bad reviews because of fit. Meaning it fits like a tent. Streamline the body by having it tailored to your measurements. Don’t sacrifice comfort because you are attempting to recreate the advertisements in your favorite menswear magazine. No bunching. No tugging at the buttons. And for goodness sakes, make sure the jacket is long enough to cover your rear.
- Button options: Your are either 4 or 6 buttons. If you are wearing a 4 button, fasten the top right button; or button the middle right button if you are rocking a 6 button jacket. The 4 button is a little more aggressive between the two. So, if you are looking to make a statement; I would definitely rock with the 4 button version.
- Move away from the standard hues for your dress shirt. Yes, we are talking that conservative pair of white or blue. Incorporate some unexpected color and jettison the conservative baggage that can weigh you down.
- And truthfully, the same advice can be applied to the color of the jacket itself. Blue doesn’t just have to be blue. And gray doesn’t just have to be gray. Each color possess varying temperatures and tone; explore and see what designers are offering.
- As a matter of fact, you don’t even have to relegate yourself to blue or gray. Nowadays, a gentleman has options aplenty in the color department.
- And further more…a little pattern never hurt a gentleman either. I hear that checks are pretty popular too. And that includes both your dress shirt and jacket.
- Don’t forget to accessorize. And the cheapest accessory in your arsenal will most likely be a pocket square. And we’re not speaking of your solid white cotton handkerchief. We’re trying to move out of the conservative shadow remember? Instead, try a pocket square in the same vein as these beauties. Skip the neat fold; stuff that bad boy in your breast pocket and keep it moving.